Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My Worst Enemy....

My worst enemy is something else, let me tell you.  She can be one of the most hateful people I know.  She has some of the nastiest things to say and can get under my skin more than anyone I've ever dealt with in my life.  I've known her for a very long time and most of you will recognize her:







Yep me!  I am my own worst enemy.  I swear I can get myself so worked up over the most "non existent" issues that I make into big things in my head.  I'm sure I sound like a crazy lady but I am my own worst enemy.  I can look at a picture of myself and critique it like no other, get worked up because Garrett hasn't won the apple award at school and I think badly of myself.  I'm working on knowing who I am and not losing focus on what I'm not. 
I'm in a new small group at church that is called "Unglued".  It is based on the book by Lysa TerKeurst.  It is wonderful and address those situations where you feel like you are about to loose it.  Unfortunately I have those moments more than I realized.  Last small group we were given some reminders to keep on our key chain.  Very powerful words to remember:


If this is the worst thing that happens to me today, it's still a pretty good day

The One who holds the tongue, holds the power

My feelings are indicators, not dictators


Am I trying to prove that I'm right, or improve the relationship?
Well the first one and the last ones are the ones are the one that hit me the hardest.  I am stubborn and often enjoy being right more than anything.  So terrible I know, but honest.  Also if this is the worst thing that happened today, then it's still a pretty good day.  My unglued moments are getting better and I've truly enjoyed my small group.  It ends next week and I am going to be so sad.  Hopefully after the first of the year there will be another small group that I can participate in.

4 comments:

  1. I like the first 2! Holding my tongue is not something I've ever been good at, but I am working on it. I really want to work on complaining less and not letting my pessimistic side take over, so the 1st one speaks to that--there's always someone who has it worse! Thanks for sharing--and by the way, your worst enemy is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl thank you so much. I swear that I am so much harder on myself. I am getting better. As I get older my priorities change as well.

      Delete
  2. great post! I bought the book, but haven't read it yet :( I love these sayings though. And I was super convicted by your confession of criticizing pictures of yourself. I am so mean to myself! I would never be that mean to anyone else so it is weird that I even have that voice in there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I've only read a few chapters due to life being busy busy busy! I've been able to do the small group though so am excited about going back and taking the time to actually read it. I can't stand that voice in my head...ugh! I'm working on shutting her up!!! :-)

      Delete