Thursday, October 18, 2012

Busy week

Wow it's been a busy busy week.  It all started when I got a lovely piece of paper in the mail a few weeks ago with two words that I wasn't thrilled to see:  JURY DUTY!!!  Gah.  I know I should want to serve, but to be honest it throws my anxiety into a new level!  I have a hard time making decisions, so the thought of having to decide if someone is guilty or not guilty makes me so nervous.  It doesn't help that around 4 or 5 years ago I served on a murder trial!  What are the chances?  That trial ended up in a plea bargain so I didn't have to make that decision. 
I was supposed to start Monday, but when I called they said we didn't have to report!  I took this is a GREAT sign that I wouldn't have to serve at all.  Not so much.  Monday night I called and had to report Tuesday morning at 8:15 a.m.  I showed up on time bright and early.  On our first break I headed to the restroom and noticed my zipper had busted.  Seriously?  Just my luck.  SO I had to wear my coat the rest of the day.  We all went in to the courtroom to wait to see if we were picked to serve.  The judge got through the first 12 members of the jury.  I was not one of them.  They decided not to keep some of the people and I was the first one chosen.  They kept me.  I was SO NERVOUS!  They said this should be a quick trail, so I was satisfied.  The second day we were to report we had to report at 9:30.  I went to my job to get an hour of work in before jury duty.  I thought I left on time to get there...of course not.  I looked at the clock on my car when I got stopped by the TRAIN and it was 9:20.  10 minutes to find parking, go through security and get into the jury room.  OMG PANIC ATTACK!!!!  I got through the train and could not find parking.  So I called the number they give you if you aren't able to show.  They did not seem to be alarmed.  So I ran and when I was almost to the courthouse I found another juror member, PRAISE!  So we ran in together.  Luckily they were still waiting on one other juror.  We finished the trail up right after lunch.  It was a pretty simple trail thankfully.
I got back to work and our entire system was down.  Payroll started yesterday and the computers were down ALL DAY.  Today the computers were down until after lunch.  Thankfully they are up and running and I can get my work done tomorrow!
Tonight I had the honor of going to a GREAT event put on by a local organization.  It was BUNCO for Breast Cancer.  I think there were over 350 women there playing BUNCO.  They had dinner and then did raffle prizes that are amazing.  I buy about 30 tickets every year and and never win a thing...ha!  It is so much fun though.  They have amazing women there that are all survivors and their stories are just so touching.  I can't imagine what they are going through.  I have a new friend Jamie who is battling breast cancer and she works with the organization that held the event.  She is so strong and I am in awe of her strength.  There was also a young mother who talked to the group that was diagnosed with breast cancer at 36 weeks with no history in her family.  She had to deliver her child at 37 weeks (delivered on a Monday) and then the following Monday she started treatment!  Can you imagine??  She beat breast cancer and then 3 years later got a call and was told that the cancer was back and it was in her bones, liver and one other place.  She was treated for that and then her husband was diagnosed with cancer.  Her cancer has returned again.  It just hurt my soul.  Her family has been through so much.  You know what?  She has a strong faith still.  I am just in awe of her.  She really made me think about me and the things I get worked up about.  She put things into perspective.
Tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!!!!  Yay!  Ready for another fun weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment