Sunday, July 31, 2011

Not my smartest move

I've been trying to work on my running lately. I really want to run a 1/2 marathon soon (within a year). I need to take baby steps though. I want to run a 10 mile race next. I would like to do this by the end of the year. I am working on getting my endurance up. I am up to 6 miles. Only 4 more to go! Let me tell you, those four miles seem like they will take forever. Hopefully not.
Anyway, I ran Friday and took Saturday off. I decided to go run today. My gym closes at 5 or 6 on Sunday and I really didn't want to drive there. I wanted to be close to home, so I decided to run around my neighborhood. It had stopped raining hard, so I thought i would be alright.
I was about 20 minutes in when I saw lightening in the distance. I thought it was going away, not coming towards me, so I kept running. Not smart! I was about 7-10 minutes from my house when the storm started kicking up pretty good. I turned around fast and booked it. I've never run so fast in a short amount of time (even when that dog was chasing me). I have never been so scared in my life. I was so petrified that I was going to get struck.
To make sure that I wouldn't choke if I was struck, I spit my gum out. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I was thinking ahead. Ha! Luckily I saw Josh driving trying to find me. I was out of breath and nervous as I could be. Thank goodness I was safe. I then had to take a shower while a crazy storm was going on. Shew, what a day!
I did get 30 minutes in :-)
I will now check the weather BEFORE heading out!!!

1 comment:

  1. I needed this tonight. Glad you didn't get hit! I think I was at the gym when you were running b/c I saw lots of lightning in your neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete