Friday, October 4, 2013

PSA on things not to say to a pregnant woman (or any woman for that fact)

Well I'm only 14 weeks in and am already appalled by the crazy stuff that people feel is appropriate to say.  Honestly I can really say I'm only 3 weeks out because I only announced being pregnant when I was 11 weeks!  I would also like to say I'm not fishing for compliments!
I've been writing this stuff down and was going to do this list last week but glad I waited because a few more morons came along for me to add some additional stuff.  I will say that these all came from men, although some women do not have a filter either and I wouldn't put it past them.

1.  "DANG GIRL YOU ARE BIG!"  this was when the bump was just beginning to appear and I had put on maybe like 2-3 lbs.  I definitely had a bump but BIG I think not.  Seriously! 

2.  "Don't think that wearing black is going to slim that...".  This is when I was wearing a snug black dress that I was not trying to conceal anything...I was actually proud of my mini bump and was just trying to show it a little.  This was the same gentleman that said "dang girl you are big"...  I honestly don't think people think before they talk

3.  "Are you excited?"  I think most people mean "aren't you excited" and have good intentions but what if I say no then that is awkward! Can't you tell by the huge smile on my face when I told you that I am excited? By the way I am so excited about this. 

4.  "Was it planned?"  Again people.  I have one child already and think I know how the first one got here and pretty sure that's how we got to the place we are in now with baby number 2.  Still, why would you ask someone.  How awkward if I had said no. 

5.  "Are you feeling heavy?"  I think the look on my face told this person that this was a HORRIBLE question.  Do you mean do I feel fat or do I does my belly feel heavy?  Was this person nervous and just didn't know what to say?  I just simply said no and cut the conversation short.

6.  "You didn't plan that very well, don't you know your kids will want to play together".  Well sir if you would like to have paid our second child's daycare then we could have "planned" this a little better so said children could play together.  Plus you never know what people are going through...what if we had been trying and trying and it took 4plus years to get pregnant.  We just planned it this way due to financial reasons it just made sense and it worked for us.

7.  "you swelling up already"  No one wants to hear this.  NO ONE.

I honestly don't feel as if I'm that big.  I've gained like 8 pounds in the 14 weeks that I've been pregnant.  If I wasn't somewhat confident with myself I would be an emotional basket case!   So please people don't ever say any of these to a pregnant woman!  We would all appreciate it!
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Oh my lord, Kim! People/especially men that say these things are idiots!!! I'm sure you look so cute and I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete