Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What does your Christmas Tree say about you?

Growing up my husband and I had very different trees.  Josh grew up primarily with artificial trees and I have never had an artificial tree.  I have always grown up with a real tree.  It is always an experience going with my parents to pick "the perfect tree".  My dad has an Envoy and cracks me up how he will bring the tree home for us:

You should see the looks we get coming home with this :-)

Our tree also is not a "pretty" tree.  Josh's mom SuSu has the most BEAUTIFUL tree.  It is a Martha Stewart tree for sure.  I love it too.  My family has always used old ornaments and they all mean something.  Our tree is very mix match.  Here are some of the ornaments from our tree and the meaning behind each one:

 This was our very first Christmas.  We had just moved into our house in Greenville on Dec 17th (I think) and for the first year ever, I didn't get a Christmas tree.  We hung this one ornament on a fake ficas tree in the corner!  ha!

 This was from my very first Christmas in 1979

 We did an ornament exchange with my Meredith College girlfriends a long time ago and this was the one I got.  I love it and it makes me think of my MC girls!
 AARRGGHHHH!  This has a duo meaning.  We are HUGE Pirate fans, so I loved this one anyway.  I got it when I had to go to Seatle for work and found this while I was there. 
 Josh, Susan and I went to The Homestead for New Years the year after Gary died (Josh's dad).  It was a great time to be together as a family and remember an awesome guy!
 This was made my Freshman year at Meredith College
 My brother brought this back to me when he was in the Navy overseas.  I was so proud of him.
 This is another one that reminds me of Gary, Josh's dad who passed away.  He was such a beach lover and this is so him!
 Josh will kill me for putting this up, but this is his first ornament he made when he was a child :-)

 Garrett's thumb print last year

 Garrett's obsession with Buzz and Woody

 AAHHHH!  Josh and I went to Vegas before Garrett was born.  It was awesome!

This is my good friend Sara, who passed away when she was 16.  Her beautiful family gave me this and I put it up every year.



This is just a little look into our tree :-)  I hope you enjoy

2 comments:

  1. i love this post! Our tree is very mix mash too and i LOVE it that way! And I also adore people's "magazine ready" trees and know that I could never have the skills to make a tree that beautiful. I still hang my ornament from freshmen year on the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Kim. Our tree has a mix of ornaments as well. I wouldn't have it any other way though b/c of the memories it brings. Especially now with my own children.

    ReplyDelete