Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Gym...and people watching

Let me start off by saying I LOVE my gym. This is the first gym that I've found that I really love. I think this has a lot to do with the people there. I've only been there 2 months, but I feel like I know a lot of people there...except that they may not know me! ha! One thing I love to do is people watch. When Josh and I went to Vegas we spent one entire afternoon sitting outside consuming too much alcohol while watching people. Let me tell you there are plenty of folks to watch out there. wow!
Well while I'm at the gym there is a lot of time to think while on the equipment or in class. I am typically on the treadmill anywhere between 35-55 minutes currently. I get really bored, so I start to look around and just watch the people around me. Sometimes I make up stories about what their lives are like etc. It's just something to get me through my workout.
I always have things running through my mind too. I wish I could turn it off, but no such luck. I will ask Josh occasionally what are you thinking. His response "nothing". WHAT? NOTHING? If I ever answer that way, it's a lie. I am always thinking of something. There is never a quiet time in my head...ha!
Well I have come up with "names" for these people:


Pajama phone girl: Every morning when I'm getting ready for work this girl strolls in on her phone (the entire time, every morning) wearing her PJ's. It just makes me laugh because she wears her pajama's 100% of the time.


Talkie lady: This lady talks to everyone and is very very sweet. I look forward to seeing her. She makes me laugh. Although she does not wash her hands after using the restroom...yes people are watching you when you are in a public restroom. Besides that, love her.

Pregnant ladies: We have about 2 or 3 and they are about to POP. There are 2 in particular that work out all the time. I overheard one talk about how she still runs 10 miles...REALLY she runs 10 miles and is due in July. The other day when I was in she was finishing up her 5 mile run (must have been a light day...smh), she then did 30 minutes of weight training and THEN when I was leaving she was on the stair climber. WOW. I personally think it's a bit much, but once that baby comes it might be a while before she has that much time to put into the gym daily. Ha! I must admit I'm ready for them to have their babies because they put me to shame in the gym.

Primping girls: bless these girls. They want to make sure they look SOOO good before they head out to get their workout on. While l am blow drying my hair and they will seriously stand in the mirror fixing their hair just right and pulling their clothes so it lays just the right way. It makes me laugh because I look like a drowned rat and no amount of "primping" before hand will prevent that from happening. I swear their hair doesn't move the entire time they are in there.

My workout "buddies": I actually don't work out with these people, but they are in the gym every morning (I go on Tues/Thur mornings to workout with my trainer). I know one of the guys from church, but the others I don't know. That's right, they are my "buddies" and I don't know their names. They are really funny and I look forward to seeing them in the mornings. Maybe one day I will get their names.

Dance guy: In my Zumba class their is a guy in there that can GET DOWN! I look forward to taking the class all because of him, he can shake it for sure! He is amazing and could teach a class with his eyes closed. I would love to see him in the club. We occasionally have guys in the class, but he is the only one that can do it. His friends used to make fun of him until they saw how all the ladies respond to him in there. Now we have more men trickling in. They stay to the back for now.

These are the people I've made up titles for. It's funny after 2 months the observations you make. It does make me wonder what they call me? ha!
This is stuff I have observed in the gym since being in there. First off I must admit that I am a germaphobic...not sure if that is the right word, but I wash my hands ALL THE TIME and just try to protect myself whenever possible. Well I am shocked by the number of people in the gym that go to the bathroom and do not wash their hands. I'm standing there and see them go in and come out and they still don't wash their hands...gross! I've also purchased shower shoes. I can not imagine stepping into those showers with bare feet...ewwww. Well there are plenty of people that do, it just makes me get the ickies just thinking about it.
I'm also amazed by the people that can talk while exercising (on the phone or to each other). I tried once and got a cramp in my side. I'm a music junkie and enjoy the tunes while working out.

Anyways those have been my thoughts so far on the gym and there are many others there that I have "titles" for. I'm getting ready to head to Zumba now and hope the dancing guy is in there!!!! He makes me giggle.

3 comments:

  1. You are a mess! I wish we lived closer so I could people watch with you! I'm going to giggle about this post all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! I wish we lived closwer too! I wish I could blog about some others, but I couldn't go into too much detail :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I often wonder how other peoples' brains work... and I have yet to wrap my mind around brain silence. I just can't imagine that thinking of nothing can actually be possible. But I will take Josh's word for it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete